Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #241  
Matboard Maniac

Received 86 Likes on 35 Posts
Default thanks!

I will have to look this evening!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #242  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cuppy Mouse-

Do you have a Big Shot/Big Kick? If so, you can use the multi-purpose platform in your Vagabond. I have used it in mine. The platform that come with the 'V' is the length of the extended plates. When I have a 'clearance' problem, I used my multipurpose platform and just used the correct tabs for the thin dies. I have since placed my 'V' on it's own printer stand and can roll it so no more clearance prob.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #243  
Matboard Maniac

Received 86 Likes on 35 Posts
Default another thanks!

I currently have a Cuttlebug, so don't have any Sixxix stuff, but good to know! I like the idea of the book of platforms instead of the pile of plates, but there you are. I really don't cut large items much, but then again, who knows what I might do with the new real estate once I have it! Overwhelmingly, I use Spellbinders and other metal dies (like PTI) plus embossing folders so the wafer thin die set up is critical.

How much room do you ideally need behind the Vagabond? I was going to put mine on top of a bank of Elfa drawer units that are 21" deep. I could put it front to back (kind of towards the front so there's clearance in the back) or sideways (seems more likely, although will take up more space).

Can't wait to get it! My wrists will also be happy to see it, the CB seems like it's getting harder and harder to crank....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #244  
Pearl-ExPert

You'll need about 20" clearance in order to get your sandwich into the 'V'. This is with the shorter plates. If the Thin Solo Adapter is out of stack everywhere, maybe you could find the multipurpose platform somewhere since you say that you don't use longer dies. Just a suggestion. I think I saw the multipurpose platform on the JoAnn's website but I'm sure - other places must have it also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #245  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize the last post is several weeks ago, but I think this is where my questions belong. Thanks to advice in this forum, I am now the owner of a Bond. I got a pretty good deal at Joann's ($149.95 plus tax).
My main question right now is terminology. In the box a solo platform, solo shim, and two clear plates are included. Some of the previous posts include an extended adapter as part of the sandwich for Nesties. I assume that is not the same as the solo shim. I will need to do some research on where I can get that.

Thanks for all the previous information. There is a lot to absorb. I especially appreciate the sandwich recipes, and the information about the Spellbinder mats.
I do not recall seeing a sandwich for Cuttlebug dies - I have a lot of them.

I have a very badly scarred CB plate - will that happen to my shiny new Bond plates?

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2012, 04:00 AM   #246  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 348 Likes on 135 Posts

Hi Dorothy,

Congratulations on your new Bond! You're in for a lot of fun.

I am fairly sure that the platform, shim and plates all together are what you need for wafer thin dies such as Nesties. Confession time: I haven't taken the wrapper off my Bond platform yet as I'm using the multi-purpose platform which I got for my Big Shot. The manufacturers have changed the platform over time so some of the sandwich recipes you'll find online refer to products which you may no longer be able to get new. It shouldn't matter though because there are only a few thicknesses of dies, and you'll learn by experience that if you make up a sandwich and it's not quite thick enough, you can add your own shims (layers of cardstock) until it does grip and cut or emboss properly.

Cuttlebug dies are the same thickness as Sizzlits, so the sandwich for Sizzlits should work with your Cuttlebug dies.

It's normal for the clear cutting plates to become scarred quickly once used (the die blades have to go somewhere once they've cut through the cardstock, and that somewhere is the cutting plate). The plates will work fine even though they look bad. Try and make your sandwiches such that you always cut the same plate; when it's too far gone, replace it with a new plate. That way at least one of your plates will be relatively unscathed and will stay flat!

Bond sandwiches are the same as Big Shot or Big Kick ones, so you may well find a lot of useful info if you search the Big Shot threads.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #247  
Pearl-ExPert

Dorothy-

To cut the wafer thin dies (Nesties, etc.) you will need to purchase the 'Solo Thin Die Adapter'. It states right on the platform that it is for a Wafer-thin Die (Thinner than a Sizzlits Die). This adapter is the thickness of Tab 2 on the Multi-purpose platform. In the past, this adapter has been hard to find 'in stock'.

Good luck! Hope you love your 'V' as much as I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #248  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the help.
I am going to be anxious to try the Nesties, etc. and doubt I will be patient enough to wait until I can get that thin adapter if I have an alternative. Can I use pieces of cs for shims like I do on the Cuttlebug?

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #249  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

I am new to the Vagabond, just purchased a used one (which actually had not been put into use by first owner). Most of my dies are Spellbinders and similar; so I am still waiting for delivery of the adapter, impression plate, and silcone pad. What I am curious about is whether the Vagabond will cut with the super intricate dies, such as doilies from Cheery Lynn or Memory Box. I have the metal shims I used with the Cuttlebug, but will the Vagabond cut completely without any additional shims? And if I need shims, do I need to go back to using the Cuttlebug for those dies? The difficulty in turning the Cuttlebug handle is what attracted me to the Vagabond in the first place, but the Bug has sure been forgiving for experimenting with shims.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #250  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post
I am new to the Vagabond, just purchased a used one (which actually had not been put into use by first owner). Most of my dies are Spellbinders and similar; so I am still waiting for delivery of the adapter, impression plate, and silcone pad. What I am curious about is whether the Vagabond will cut with the super intricate dies, such as doilies from Cheery Lynn or Memory Box. I have the metal shims I used with the Cuttlebug, but will the Vagabond cut completely without any additional shims? And if I need shims, do I need to go back to using the Cuttlebug for those dies? The difficulty in turning the Cuttlebug handle is what attracted me to the Vagabond in the first place, but the Bug has sure been forgiving for experimenting with shims.
I can't answer most of these question but I have one comment on the embossing of Spellbinders type dies. Instead of the black impression plate and black silicone pad, I use TWO of the tan rubber Spellbinders mats stacked up with the regular clear cutting plates. This was what the Scrapy-Land blog recommended long before Tim came out with all the recipes for other brands.

The silicone pad is too stretchy - it has a knit backing and it stretches and creeps going through the machine. It is also not firm enough to provide a nice crisp impression on the small openings in the dies. There has been a case cited earlier in this thread where it actually got caught in the roller mechanism, requiring a new machine from Sizzix.

For over-sized dies, I got one of the old 12x12 tan mats that Spellbinders used to sell and cut in half, making two 6x12 embossing mats to stack. You can still find them from some vendors. Otherwise you would have to buy two of the mats for the Grand Calibur and trim them to the right width.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #251  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post
More comments!

I do not have any problems with Cheery Lynn or Memory Box dies, but I do sometimes put an extra cardstock shim or two; I put this between the platform and the cutting pads. I will have to try it with the metal shim.

If you enter a photo of yourself with your Vagabond on the Sizzix blog, they will send you the new gauge keys to make sure your sandwiches are the correct thickness. You can try anything if it will fit the gauge keys!

Go here to enter your photo:
Sizzix: Where in the World is Your Vagabond?

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #252  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
I never have checked out the Big Shot Pro - at first when you mentioned it I thought maybe it was the electric version. . . but now I see it is still crank and handles thicker materials, too. And apparently one feature is that it is extra wide?

I went from CB to BS and was thrilled -- BS, just so much more sturdy, not tippy, and was for some reason more fun to use.

But I have a really small stamping area and storage space for my supplies. My Big Shot was on a box under my clothes hanging in the closet and honestly it was a pain to get in and out. And it has too big of a footprint to leave it out all the time.

Being a fan of Tim Holtz products, when I first saw the Vagabond, I was intrigued. Besides that it looks SO cool, I trust his products, and it's electric ~ it is compact.

I have it set out on a bookcase that my craft table is right up against. The height works out just right, because when I set the V. on my craft table, right at the edge, the trays fold out so that one overhangs the bookcase, and even though the other is in my space, I can still slide papers, plates, etc. right under it. So I really feel like I'm giving up very little space. I don't have to maneuver it this way or that to crank either -- just press the button!

Really when I mention not cranking I feel like I must sound so lazy, LOL!!! But it's truly effortless. And if I had to stash it in the closet, it's simple box shape makes it very doable.

I'm attaching a picture so you can see why it's the perfect fit for me. And I have used it more in the last week than I used the BS in a month, and I don't think it's simply the novelty of a new tool.

Also, being a fan of TH products, I know that it will be compatible with his future products, and works well with my PTI plates & dies, Spellbinder's Nestabilities dies, SU and other embossing folders, etc. And the TH/Sizzix products.

HTH!! I know the V. isn't the best solution for everyone but I have been really happy with my choice :^).
love the photo of your Vagabond work space! As a side question: Where did you get your tool/marker storage bucket? It looks wonderful . . .I'm thinking about starting a copic collection, so am wondering if you have copics in there and how many?
thanks for the reply--
plumdiva
Reply With Quote Likes